Thursday, July 10, 2008

Braman/County Trial or the Bathroom? By Geniusofdespair

It was 1:20 p.m. when I arrived in the Circuit Courtroom of Judge Jeri Beth Cohen where the trial initiated by Auto Guy, Norman Braman, against the county over the megaplan was about to start. The question on my mind was: Did I have enough time to go to the bathroom? It was a drive and that lunch was hitting me hard. The Court reporter said the bathroom was on the 3rd Floor. I was on the 6th Floor. Because the room was full, I was seated in the jury box, if I had to run out in the middle of the trial...I would have had to shimmy past the court reporter. The decision had to be made: To go or not to go. Well, it turns out by waiting I made the right decision. At about 1:25 Judge Jeri Beth entered and sat down. She said "Boy, standing room only.... I order both sides to continue mediation." (Maybe I shouldn't quote that, but it is pretty close to what she said). With that she got up and left the room. Maybe she was there for 45 seconds. That was it. Judge left, over.

Braman was there, Victoria Mallette (Mayor’s Spokeswoman) and County Manager Burgess. The rest? Well, I didn't recognize them. Michael Putney was there, but tardy.

I scooted off to the 3rd Floor bathroom, life was good. I did both the things I wanted to do.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Vicky look like she just ate at entire box of lemonheads at once? I swear I've never seen that woman smile...

Geniusofdespair said...

She indeed smiled and waved to me. Don't think she knows my name, but she does recognize the face.

Anonymous said...

Vicky is the smartest thing the Mayor's got over there. She smiles when she needs to smile. Evidently, you're not smile worthy, anonymous!

Anonymous said...

If Vicky is the smartest thing the Mayor's got over there, then we are in more trouble than I thought, and no, I am not the last anon...

As to the Stadium, the big story that people are not talking about is that the sub-agreements require a super-majority. That means if 13 Commissioners are present, they need 9 to vote yes. Right now, there are only 8 yes votes. Without a swing voter, the Stadium is dead on arrival.

Anonymous said...

Don't pick on Vickie. My sources says she is a really nice person. There are so many others to choose from.

Geniusofdespair said...

I agree Vickie is ok

Anonymous said...

Vickie is too naive for that job.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Braman made a big mistake by filing his lawsuit in state court. It's very hard to win there an action against the county. Remember Harvey Ruvin and his "print" excuse to toss 4,000 signatures on the petition to recall Seijas? Sending the parties to mediation as if she's still in Family court, is ludicruous to say the least. According to Com. Reboredo, the previous day the parties had tried unsuccessfully to mediate the matter -so, why continue mediation when it had already failed? Is Cohen afraid to rule and be reversed on appeal by a court with less political attachments? Remember judges have to pander to the same donors as other politicians, sometimes assisted by our experts on the subject -the M-D commissioners. So why irritate them when they might need their help at their next reelection campaign?

JUDGES MUST BE APPOINTED NOT ELECTED TO AVOID ANY CONFLICT!

Geniusofdespair said...

She is up for reelection and has a challenger.

Anonymous said...

I'm aware of that but most of the electorate have no idea or know about the qualifications of judges and their opponents running for office.

Anonymous said...

yeah, but most of the electorate know they don't like the stadium deal and I wouldn't want to be the judge that gave it the final OK and have my opponent throwing that around like I had a choice.

m

Anonymous said...

It's no secret you're a regular commentator.
S

Anonymous said...

That stadium "agreement" is one of the most one sided "all-for-me and nothing-for-you" agreements I have ever seen. Manny Diaz and George Burgess must have been born yesterday to get abused so badly by the Marlins and Major League Baseball. The stadium will end up costing the taxpayers $1 bil and if the Marlins sell their team, most likely the Marlins get 100% of the appreciation created by the taxpayers investment.

Braman is correct to sue. I hope he wins. Morally he is right.

Anonymous said...

Im still perplexed by one of the anon's "accoring to commissioner reboredo" . Is this guy still around?? Why would he be privy to anything?

Anonymous said...

From reading Chuck Rabin's article it looks like the two bad rulings so far is going to make Braman fold for a community center. Too bad for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I mispoke, it's not Reboredo but Tomas Regalado, the City of Miami Commissioner.