Friday, June 06, 2008

Warning: Don’t take investment advice from me. By Geniusofdespair

I am tired of writing political/investigative blogs so I decided to tell you a story. It was 1990 and I was looking for a gift. I happened upon a collectable sale and knowing my friend was a Star Trek fan I looked over the collection of Star Trek material. The salesman must have seen me coming. He showed me what he described as a rare “Speckled Data." You might remember that Data was the android on the TV show "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Here is the story behind the infamous action figure and how it got its tag:

This was one of the many versions Galoob Toys released in 1988 trying to simulate the "golden" skin tone of Lieutenant Commander Data. This version features DATA with a mocha skin tone with darker brown "speckles".

I was intrigued. A malfunction of the coloring process, like a rare stamp. The salesman said there were only a few produced like this one. I thought to myself, at the time, "far out!" So I bought this $3 toy action figure for $35.00, imagining that in years to come it would sky-rocket to hundreds of dollars. Well, 18 years have passed. Today I checked the price of the "Speckled Data" (in the original unopened card) on E BAY. The mint "Speckled Data" is going for $35.00.

I guess I should be happy, at least it didn’t lose its value. It taught me an important lesson about investing in collectables. I am taking comfort that I am not alone; all those Beenie Baby collectors have fared even worse.

Do you have a bad investment you want to share with us? What about collectables that made you money?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just went through one...
Last March,Nine Inch Nails released an ultra deluxe edition of their latest album,through their website..
a limited edition of 2500 copies signed by Trent Reznor himself...
priced at $300.00
The thing sold out in 24 Hours.
Within 2 weeks they started popping aon EBay at "Buy It Now" price of $1000-$1250;though the first few ones went for $650-$700..
I'm a casual fan of NIN,so I decided to go ahead and get a set,and
I felt so lucky after sniping one for $610...
I've been watching the recent auctions and most are now going for $400-$500..
I've been collecting records for over 40 years..plus Fangoria magazines,etc.because I am a fan,but I have to admit that the thought of sitting on a "gold mine"
with my collections does enter my head now and then.
But,even with a fire last year that destroyed Fangoria's back-issues warehouse,nothing has gone up...
and with the records..maybe just 10% of my 7000 LP collection may be considered "collectible".
Luckily I still have my 401K and mutual funds to fall back on!

Anonymous said...

We all do stupid things at times. I admit I am one of the all.

Anonymous said...

I got married twice. The first one was a bad investment that cost me half of everything I owned. The second one is much better and my investment seems to being paying off at a much greater rate, for now.

m

Geniusofdespair said...

My God "M" made me laugh. That is pretty historic for this blog...

Anonymous said...

Nine inch nails? Never heard of them.

Geniusofdespair said...

Nine Inch Nails:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0s5UOVsMDg

Anonymous said...

Anything marketed as a "collectable" will ever become one.