Sunday, July 01, 2007

Nostalgia for the Gifted by Geniusofdespair

I am here thinking about the past. I went to the memorial service for community activist Gilda Iriarte today. A sad time. She was a brilliant and passionate woman and I know all who knew her will miss her. I will. It got me going through scrapbooks and thinking about my own life...and inevitable death. And as one reader told me, “I am going to burn in hell” so I don’t have much to look forward to on that end. It got me thinking about Michael Brecker who died January 13th. I think about the talent lost when someone dies - whatever that talent or special gift might be - that is the sad part to me. You can’t replace what makes a person unique. whether it be Gilda’s special encouraging words as she walked door-to-door with candidates or 13 time Grammy Award winner, Michael Brecker, on his tenor saxophone. You will hear other saxophonists, but they won't be Michael Brecker. And, someone else will walk door-to-door with a Miami Candidate, but not like Gilda.

While, going through my past in pictures, I found this photo from my sister’s wedding. It made me laugh and rescued me from my funk. You might be wondering if my mother was mortified. Yep. But I think she was so glad to get my sister out of the house, she got through the day with a few drinks and numerous apologies to all the uptight relatives.

Catch Brecker-Metheny-Every Day I Thank You on "You Tube."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew Gilda. She was a fine lady, and no one can replace her. She was a one of a kind. That photo made me laugh too.

Anonymous said...

good link...it was a fitting end to your post:every day we are thankful for the contributions of those we loved that are no longer with us. The song was perfect.