Saturday, April 14, 2007

Biscayne Times: Worth a look by Geniusofdespair

Check out Jim Mullin’s new stint as publisher of the Biscayne Times. Good job Jim! He has assembled many reporters with "New Times" roots. I am expecting good things from this paper. I bet they expand to the whole of Biscayne soon: We can then call it the "U.S. One Sun." Remember that name Jim.

There is a good “Miami King”, Jack King article and "Cram Session" by Kirk Neilsen is also worth a read. I also enjoyed the Letter from the Publisher. Mullin asks many of the questions I have been asking myself (except the last one and the one about Miami Shores):
“Who will be living in all those condos rising around Midtown Miami? Where will the Marlins be playing ten years from now? What’ll happen if this dry weather turns into a full-blown drought? Will there even be a hurricane season this year? Who’ll win a seat on the Miami Shores Village Council? Will the Carnival Center for the Performing Arts survive? Why does it seem the construction on Biscayne Boulevard will never end? And one more imponderable: How many new features can we fit into a single issue of Biscayne Times?”

The website is easy to get around in. No frills, and annoying detours. So check it out.

Whoops, I almost missed the great DeFede Article Back On Top. At one point Mullin asks DeFede:
Do you think you’re more politically partisan now than you were as a columnist at the Herald?
"I think I get pressed more to state views and opinions that I would normally steer away from at the Herald. Do I think the war in Iraq is dumb? Yes, but would I have written a column about it? Probably not. On radio I’m telling people more about who I am than they knew when I was a columnist. But I don’t know if partisan is the right word. We have lots of Republicans on my show, all the time. Some Republicans won’t come on because they’re dumb and they’re cowards. Ileana [Ros Lehtinen], Lincoln and Mario Diaz-Balart — they’re cowards. But most Republicans know they’ll get a fair shake from me, and we’ll talk about the issues. I don’t know where the Republican and Democratic lines are drawn on an issue like property taxes. It’s the same with homeowner’s insurance. I don’t know that there’s an intrinsically Republican position on homeowner’s insurance and a Democratic position."

Last - check out "Neighborhood Correspondents": Reporter Kathy Glasgow can't get her pizza delivered at her new digs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Took a look, it is a pretty good paper.

Anonymous said...

You were right, liked DeFede Article/Interview.