Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My trip to Umoja Village. by geniusofdespair


I went to meet Ronnie Homes, who I wrote about in a January 13th post. He is a resident (squatter) of Umoja Village at the corner of NW 62nd Street and NW 17th Avenue. Remember I quoted Ronnie who said: "For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm a part of something and I'm doing good."

Umoja Village -for people with short-term memory deficit disorder- is public land where Max Romeau and others took it upon themselves to build makeshift housing...to the embarrassment of City and County officials who have fallen down on the job of providing affordable housing. Because of the landmark Pottinger lawsuit, the city of Miami is having trouble removing them from the public land as long as they are participating in life sustaining activity. There are about 40 people living there.


Ronnie Homes is a most pleasant man and he still is convinced he is doing good. He was honored that I remembered him from the article and that I had quoted him. He thanks Jesus for his good luck. He said he has been reunited with his children. He is feeling more healthy, he said he used to wear a brace but he said the hard work is making him feel better (or at least taking his mind off the pain). He took a sweater from me when I asked if anyone needed one. And he thanked me many times.

The Village was smaller than I expected. And, unlike most shelters, they don’t turn away people with severe problems (mental or otherwise). It seems this creates some tension, according to another resident who has trouble coping with some of the residents behavior. This other man just wanted to get out and get to a real shelter. He wanted work. He also said the shower was too cold for him and he found it hard to get clean with the low pressure — the shower is a pot on top a roof. They climb a ladder and they fill the pot with water. They did have a porta-potty as well (my obsession with bathroom facilities rears its ugly head). Speaking of ugly, I gave him a brand new Re-elect Dorrin Rolle T Shirt I had in my trunk. I thought it only fitting that Rolle's name be represented since he has done so much to NOT help the poor. I saw a 3 part garden with plants maturing not far from the porta potty.

Ronnie was busy building a new hut when I arrived. He worries about hurricane season, he would like to make the structures hurricane safe. I think the neighbors are very good sports. This village has to take its toll on them.

Everyone should go out to see the village. The people I talked to were quite friendly. I took a few pictures with permission but not of the people. I think we now have an ingenious use for those campaign posters which are plastered all over town.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think of how p... off the neighbors must be to support the village. Would the p... off rich people put up with something like this to vent their anger at Miami/Miami-Dade govern't? Maybe we should, eh?

Geniusofdespair said...

Rich people get pissed off at most anything in their neighborhood. The neighbors are mad at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas house in their hood. Heaven forbid a bus might come with some school children. Actually, if the the Stoneman property is public, wouldn't that also be covered under Pottinger? We could have a Coconut Grove village soon at Marjory's house.

Anonymous said...

I know that the social work community has been out there trying to help these folks get into housing.

Anonymous said...

It is disgusting that poor and middle class working black and white people who pay taxes and work two jobs have to put up with the shanty town on NW 17th Ave and NW 62nd. Those squatters should go get jobs.

What is the matter with Comm Spence-Jones? Can't she get anything done other than getting County money given to her family? And what is happening with the $80,000 in fines Spence-Jones owes to the Florida Election Commission?