Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election: The day after

Eye On Miami

Keeping up with a blog is a royal pain in the ass. It has already gotten old. How long have I been doing it? This is the third day. Sitting in my pajamas commenting on the day is not my cup of tea. It feels too personal. Anyway, to comment on the election, I am disappointed that voters made it a super majority to get amendments in the Florida Constitution. The good news, if you write the amendments in feel good, unclear language, they seem to always pass by over 60%. Take that special interests!

I knew Crist would win. He is better looking than Davis. So no surprises there. I did think that Shaw was pretty good on the Everglades but I think it was time for a change. You might say as an Independent with a Democrat leaning I should be happy about the election and that I shouldn’t “despair.” However, we are in such a deep hole, I don’t think either party can get us out of it now. And, the Democrats will ultimately get the blame for not fixing everything which will translate badly to the next presidential election. Thus, I predict we will get another Republican unless the Democrats can find a good looking candidate.

Back to local politics, while at the polls I was astounded at the stupid questions voters asked me. I wanted to say “Go Home”. They were so uninformed on what they were voting on. That is why all the amendments passed. And, that Zoo thing, developing OUR land with private crap (hotels, theme parks, etc.), how the heck did that pass with over 60%? Oh, yes, feel good, unclear language triumphs again.

8 comments:

WOOF said...

Genius said:

we are in such a deep hole, I don’t think either party can get us out of it now

We will stop the maniacs from digging and we have the opportunity to bury them at the
bottom of their own creation.

The fact that Judges who believe Adam and Eve road dinosauers in the Garden of Eden
will now be blocked from Scotus is a great victory.

Progress is our most important product.

WOOF said...

Glen Greenwald explains
The Great Victory - crushing the developing myths

This was a resounding and emphatic rejection of the core, defining premises of the so-called "conservative" movement and what has morphed into the grotesque Republican Party. Nobody doubts that Americans vigorously rejected George Bush and his signature policy -- the invasion of Iraq. But it wasn't only Bush and Iraq.

Democratic candidates won -- in every part of the country and regardless of their ideology -- by committing themselves to one basic platform. They vigorously opposed what have become the defining attributes of the Republican Party and they pledged to put a stop to them: unchecked Presidential power, mindless warmongering, a refusal to accept or acknowledge realities (both in Iraq and generally), and the deep-seated, fundamental corruption fueling the Bush movement and sustaining their power"


http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/2006/11/great-victory-crushing-developing.html#links

Lunachick said...

Being a democrat with democrat leaning...lol
the Metro Zoo thing blew my mind.
I voted straight NO on the amendments but was not surprised in the least that they all succeeded. I think Florida has some of the dumbest voters in the nation - just look at who's governor elect. Maybe I should move to Tennessee!!!

Geniusofdespair said...

Okay WOOF— I would like to believe your two posts. People are telling me I should be jubilant over the turn in the country. I am guarded. I just don’t think all the people who voted for Bush the last two times suddenly developed a brain with reasoning potential. I think there might be some sort of economic motive in play to explain the people’s change of heart. Are they having problems sending those kids to college, or keeping those SUV’s in gas? Maybe it is all those drug ads on TV. Advertised drugs are very expensive and people are taking a lot of them. Or, as my father always said: the country swings like a pendulum every 20 years from conservative to liberal. Maybe we are on the upswing.

Back to local politics, we have two big races still in play in Miami Beach and the City of Miami. Neither Commission Candidate got over 50%. It is strange how the Herald reports local city races better than County Commissioner races.I expect we will see a lot of ink during these next two weeks on the Sarnoff/Haskins duel in District 2 .

Anonymous said...

Someday, the rest of the nation will wake up to how the pile drivers of Miami-Dade county politics-- namely the big land developers like Century/Pino--are messing with the balance of national politics.

All those subdivisions in West Kendall turn into ready money for Republican campaigns.

Thanks, GOD, for undertaking this blog...

Geniusofdespair said...

Thanks Anonymous for reading my blog and taking the time to post. I see you have figured out what I didn't until a reader pointed it out: Genius of Despair: G-O-D.

Anonymous said...

City of Miami Dist 2 race. Runoff Nov 21st. Marc Sarnoff has an all volunteer staff and he is running against the Manny Diaz machine candidate. Sarnoff won the first round eventhough he was outspent 5 to 1. The Manny Diaz machine want to maintain control over at least 4 of the 5 seats on the Commission. Candidates 3 thru 6 all endorsed Sarnoff after the election. Hopefully Sarnoff will get another great turnout Nov 21st.

Anonymous said...

One race remaining. City of Miami Dist 2 Commission race... Runoff Nov 21st.

Marc Sarnoff, who finished first in the general election against the developer and contractor funded candidate. Sarnoff is running on a "quality of life" platform. Obviously, the developers and contractors funding the other campaign want to level more buildings and pour more concrete. All of Sarnoffs general election opponents have endorsed him. Herald coverage is light and biased. Wonder why?